Thursday, June 16, 2011

First Day On, First Day Off

So, though I'd love to give you all some wonderfully engaging post about something quite interesting, I have to dash off to work (where there is no internet) and haven't had the time to perfect anything for you.  However, since I don't want to leave you hanging for four days or so, I am fearfully posting a poem that I wrote awhile back.  It was written just after I had finished reading Steinbeck's Cannery Row, and was in a particular time of angst (as young girls generally are when they write poetry).  So I hope you enjoy my cleverly named poem, "Cannery Row"

after we had begun,
starfish bathed in the sun,
bringing joy to my eyes,
soothing the damaged sighs.

driving away, where to go?
as crabs stand in the foam,
growing as old as all,
watching the anger fall...

sadness shifts with the tide,
so shamed by how I lied,
seaweed wraps 'round my toes,
now I know where to go.

I'll go down to Cannery Row,
where the fish heads roll
and the drunkards stroll.
smells and sounds and spray
wash over me
when walking by the sea.
and the fine science of love leaves my mind
while I cry, sigh, and mellow,
down here at Cannery Row.

No comments:

Post a Comment