The first proper post I have found the time and resources to pull together and I have decided to start with the conflict this blog itself has made for me. Though it is not such a problem currently since no one is actually reading this, the idea that someone might makes my guts churn. The fear of judgement and idiocy spouting from my inexperienced mouth, and the potential for those same judgements being pressed upon my writing, which unfortunately is really all I have, is quite stifling. However, this fear must be countered by pride and ambition in order to overcome my own pessimistic imagination and make available posts which might possibly be considered interesting or useful to someone else. This is exactly what I would say to someone else in my position in any case, and I believe I should probably apply this to myself. What I mean to ask is, how often do we hold ourselves back?
Generally bravery and cowardice are thought of in conjunction with heroism and literal scenarios of fight or flight. We don't often think about how ordinary situations are dealt with based on personal levels of cowardice and bravery. Maybe the terms are just not applicable enough. Fear, ambition, and necessity seem to hold more grounding in contemporary conflicts. We allow fear of ourselves, fear of others, and fear of what might happen (the what-if's), to rule many of our decisions; but how often is this warranted? It seems that often only people or scenarios with exceptional levels of ambition or necessity reach success (by choice, not accident). If all it takes is some proper desire and a bit of extra effort, why don't we all want it enough? Is it really just fear that keeps us from doing and saying all the things we should?
This might be a portion of the issue, however it is much too simple and partially adhering to the American Dream ideal (if you just worked hard enough you can be or do anything [which is a fallacy of privilege, much like 'everything happens for a reason', if you didn't know]) to be absolutely true. Despite its ineptitude of total applicability, I believe these are some points more people should think about next time one would like to confront a someone with an issue, play a song for an audience, apply for a job, or share a blog post ^_^ (To rely on a classy cliche) you miss all the shots you don't take/ the only one who loses out when you don't try, is you.
No comments:
Post a Comment